Plan Your Trip
Kauai’s enchanting landscape offers many areas to explore! From Waimea Canyon to Hanalei Bay to the Napali Coast, nature’s beauty will astound you on the Garden Isle. Kauai’s charming small towns will give you a taste of “Old Hawaii”.
- Sail along the Napali Coast. The best way to view the majestic mountains of the Napali Coast is from a boat tour.
- Kayak on the Wailua River. This tranquil river offers a beautiful setting for a kayak trip. If you’d rather not paddle, boat tours are also available.
- Hike around Waimea Canyon. Kokee State Park, at the end of Waimea Canyon Drive, provides hiking trails for beginners to advanced trekkers.
- Play a Round on a Championship Golf Course. Kauai has many excellent golf courses to choose from, all surrounded by beautiful scenery.
- Waimea Canyon, touted as “The Grand Canyon of the Pacific”, is smaller than its cousin in Arizona but impressive nonetheless. Waimea Canyon Drive offers scenic vistas overlooking the canyon, and leads to Kokee State Park.
- The Fern Grotto, accessed by taking a short boat ride up the Wailua River, is a lava-rock grotto surrounded by ferns. A popular Kauai destination wedding site, the serene setting was once only accessible to Hawaiian royalty.
- Wailua Falls are easily accessible (no hiking required) and make a stunning photo souvenir.
There are a variety of dining options throughout Kauai for any type of budget.
- Aloha n Paradise Espresso Bar – Waimea, 808-338-1522
- Brennecke's Beach Broiler – Koloa, 808-742-7588
- Duke's Kauai – Lihue, 808-246-9599
- Hanalei Taro & Juice Company – Hanalei, 808-826-1059
- Joe's on the Green – Koloa, 808-742-9696
- Keoki's Paradise – Koloa, 808-742-7534
- Koloa Mill – Koloa, 808-631-7520
- Kountry Style Kitchen – Kapaa, 808-822-3511
- The Palms Restaurant – Aston Aloha Beach Hotel, Kapaa, 808-823-6000
For information and additional events, visit Kauai Visitors Bureau.
Kauai’s main airport is Lihue Airport (LIH) in Lihue. Many airlines offer non-stop service to Kauai, but you may also fly into Honolulu (HNL) and then catch a short flight to Lihue. The best option for exploring the island is to rent a car at the airport. Aston at Poipu Kai is located about 15 miles southwest of Lihue, in Poipu.